For Sunday, July 4 you will no longer need to register online in advance. You are welcome to join us without reservation. We will continue to have a screening and check-process when you arrive but physical distancing and capacity limits will be lifted. Also, outdoor church activities will no longer require masks.
Thank you for your understanding, for your support, and for all of our volunteers who have participated in these processes!
As you are aware, the State of California announced a full economic re-opening on Tuesday, June 15. Info on what will change on that date can be found here and LA County announced that it will align with state plans. We rejoice that health conditions in Los Angeles County have improved. Daily cases have decreased to around 200, much lower than the previous heights.
What does this mean for the church? We continue to monitor and process the guidance from the CDC, State of California and LA County. We plan orderly changes to our re-opening and continue to consider matters of practical implementation for our volunteers and members. In this update we want to give a sense of how we are approaching the June 15 date and how our processes will change and ministries will be restored over time:
Screening Questions continue to be important because of travel advisories and the different strains in other countries. At the same time, vaccination makes domestic travel safer than before. We will update our screening questions with these two ideas in mind and continue to ask that members RSVP for worship service so that you are aware of the screening questions before you arrive. We are actively looking for a date when RSVP will no longer be needed.
Face Coverings are now optional for those on stage who have been vaccinated. Face coverings continue to be required at all other times while indoors at church, until such time as they are not a requirement for any people. This is out of recognition of youth settings, mixed groups of vaccinated and unvaccinated, and our desire to have clear guidelines.
Singing Guidance is being updated. As we have shared in worship service, we are encouraging those physically present to “sing softly” and we want those who come to worship service to feel comfortable and safe, facilitated in part by face coverings and air filtration, and able to express their worship in song to God.
Other ministries are actively being restored in-person. Children’s Ministry has begun to open. One adult Sunday school class has begun hybrid instruction. And later this month the Boy Scouts will begin to use areas of the GWC instead of keeping all of their activity outside on the parking lot. However, we also recognize the challenges of fragmentation, technical requirements, and scheduling. Some ministries pause for the summer while others have already begun a new quarter online. To this end we are looking to coordinate a major return to in-person ministries in September.
We want to thank you for your prayers and patience as we navigate the complexities of changing guidelines & procedures and plan an orderly return together. We praise God that in-person worship services have been held without major issue for over a month and for all the teams that enable the livestreams to function. While we coordinate the return of ministries we are also working very hard to improve our network infrastructure to be able to handle additional, concurrent events on the campus.
檢測問題 - 由於新冠肺炎相關的旅行警示及各種突變病毒，因此檢測問題在登記及報到過程中仍屬必須。在此同時，因著美國疫苗接種人數的增加，國內旅行已較先前安全了許多。教會崇拜登記的檢測問題將包括這兩點，並繼續要求會友預先為崇拜出席作登記，因此當您到達教會時，您已熟悉檢測問題。我們正認真考量並盼望很快就能釐定出一個日期，從那時起參與實體崇拜將不再須要預先登記。
口罩 - 在台上事奉的教牧同工及弟兄姊妹們現在可選擇在崇拜服事時是否戴口罩。除此之外，直到政府作出所有人都不再需要戴口罩的宣布，所有參與者在教會室內仍須全時間戴口罩。此決定是為了保障大眾安全，基於兒童事工的重啟，群體中包涵著已接種及尚未接種者，以及教會仍等待政府頒布更明確的相關規定。
- Registration takes place each week. Please be reminded to register between Monday morning and Friday night for the upcoming Sunday service. Your advance registration helps ushers to prepare the seating.
- Please continue to arrive early for service, up to 30 minutes early. The process will get faster as we become more familiar with it but the number of attendees will also increase. Coming early will assure that you can be greeted and seated before service begins.
We understand that not everyone is ready or in a position to return to in-person worship service and we hope you can worship heartily where you are. If you were waiting to preserve seating for others, please know that each of our services had additional capacity last week and we would be blessed to see you.
Los Angeles County recently entered the Yellow Tier and health conditions continue to improve locally. We pray for God’s continued protection, and we also pray on behalf of those dramatically affected by COVID-19, such as in India, that they would receive help and find relief.
MBCLA will resume in-person worship services this Sunday, May 2. In preparation for this, we invite our church family to join with us in prayer for this transition, our volunteers, spiritual vitality, and the physical health of our community.
Let us pray:
- That all church people can access the worship services, whether online or in-person;
- That there is no disruption to worship service so that we can focus on our Great God together;
- That our volunteers are excited and prepared for their acts of service;
- That we may respond with wisdom and grace to any unexpected situations;
- That Sunday, May 2 marks a new chapter in the ministry of the church and enables us to provide improved pastoral care;
- That God protects the church and the local community from the pandemic, so that society may continue to re-open and God’s people can fellowship in-person;
- With gratitude for all who are involved in the re-opening and heartfelt thanksgiving for the sustaining grace of our God.
- Mandarin Worship Livestream (click to visit channel and then click on the live video)
- Mandarin Worship Playlist (click for a list of previous worship services)
- Cantonese Worship Livestream (click to visit channel and then click on the live video)
- Cantonese Worship Playlist (click for a list of previous worship services)
- English Worship Zoom (click to open Zoom to the English Sunday service)
教會重啟計畫中的一環，就是為主日崇拜線上直播在YouTube 創建新的頻道（channels）和播放清單(playlists)，這些資訊可以透過media.mbcla.org取得，以下也列出各堂鏈結方便您使用。請使用以下鏈結來參與主日崇拜 （無論您是在線上同步參加崇拜，或是透過播放清單觀看崇拜影片），也鼓勵您訂閱新的頻道得到及時的通知。
What will it look like when we step into the sanctuary?
- Due to the nature of COVID spreading mainly by aerosols, masks will be worn at all times and families will be physically distanced (6-feet distance).
- All service elements (Scripture passages, lyrics, and sermon notes) will be projected so there will initially be no physical bulletins, bibles, nor hymnals used.
- To accommodate more brothers and sisters for the in-person worship, we will reduce the number of our worship leaders, serving teams, and ushers in order to maintain the county’s safety guidelines.
- In order to give enough time for our volunteers to clean up after the first worship, we will start promptly at 9am (Mandarin and English) / 11am (Cantonese), and conclude worship service within an hour.
How should we prepare ourselves when worship starts?
- As our Lord taught us, we should be sober and reverent to meet our Lord in spirit and truth.
- The worship order will be similar to pre-pandemic time with small modifications in order to:
- Provide a safe distance between worship leaders
- Take care of both in-person worshipers and those who are attending live-stream online
- Avoid sharing and cross-contaminating AV equipment
- We all love to praise God with our voices through reading and singing. Yet, from both research and county guidelines, active singing and chanting indoors will increase the risk of spreading and circulating aerosols. To keep our loved ones safe during worship, we can hum, meditate, and recite song lyrics reverently, joyfully, and excitedly in our hearts as Paul instructed us in Colossians 3:16.
- An offering box will be near the exit to the worship hall. Instead of passing offering bags, place your offering in the box as you exit.
- The Lord’s Supper will officially resume on the first Sunday of June (6/6). We pray that the Holy Spirit will humble and prepare our hearts to consume Christ’s body and blood while our Lord is still waiting to celebrate the meal with us in His Father’s Kingdom (Matthew 26:29, Luke 22:18).
- Ushers will set up pre-packaged elements on a table right outside sanctuary doors for members to pick up.
- The bread and cup will be taken consecutively with pastoral guidance to minimize taking masks off multiple times.
- Love offering will not be collected but can be offered in the offering box as worshippers exit.
- Used elements will be placed in a trash receptacle as they exit.
- Instead of an altar call, to maintain physical distancing, responses to the sermon and prayer requests will be made online or by phone call.
How should we do after worship concludes?
- Please do not linger so we have enough time to clean and prepare for the next worship service.
- 為了方便弟兄姊妹們在第一堂崇拜後能夠有足夠時間清潔場地，崇拜將準時開始：9點鐘（國語堂/英語堂）/ 11點鐘（粵語堂），每個崇拜將不超過一小時。
As we look forward to the May 2 return of in-person, indoor worship services, we would like to provide information about how to access the worship services and what they will be like. With our update this week we will specifically explain how to reserve a spot, what to expect when checking-in, and what general guidelines we will be expected to follow.
Question: How do we RSVP for worship service?
- To make your reservation, please visit the web address that corresponds with your worship service. You will be able to register from Monday at 9AM to Saturday at 12AM each week, or until we reach our capacity. If you need additional help, please contact the volunteer for each language group: Sarah Choo (Mandarin), Peter Meloserdoff (English), and Kay Wong(Cantonese).
Here are the links:
- On the event page, click on the large “Register” button to begin registration. First you will choose the number of tickets you are requesting, one for each person. Then you will be asked to provide a name and email for each ticket. You will also be presented with screening questions for each person. If you or anyone in your household has COVID-19 symptoms or answers yes to any of the questions, we invite you to wait an additional week before making a reservation.
- Upon arrival at church on Sunday morning, the check-in volunteer will ask for your name and compare it with the ticket list generated from online registration. You do not need to print out a physical ticket.
Question: What will check-in on Sunday morning include?
- Check-in opens 30 minutes before each worship service. It takes place at the Woodward Ave. entrance of the Main Campus and at the main entrance of the Garfield Worship Center.
- At the entrances, you will be greeted by MBCLA ushers and hospitality team. You and everyone in your household can expect:
- Greeting – We are so glad that you’ve come to join us!
- Face Covering Check – If you are not wearing a mask, you will be offered one
- Temperature Check – Those with temperature <100.4 are welcome to enter
- Reservation Check – We will confirm that you have registered in advance for the worship service
- Screening Questions – You will be asked the same screening questions from the RSVP process to confirm that answers have not changed
- Check-in – Your attendance will be recorded
- After successfully checking-in, worshipers will be directed to follow the arrows on the floor to be seated in the sanctuary. Those who have symptoms or otherwise do not pass the screening process will be asked to rest and recover before joining us for a future worship service. Those without reservations will be asked to livestream the service from outside or from their vehicles.
Question: What general guidelines will we follow for a safe and orderly return?
- Social Distancing – We will practice physical distance between households when walking or seated.
- Mask Wearing – We will wear masks at all times when inside MBCLA buildings.
- Minimal Physical Contact – We will provide a QR code to access digital Sunday worship bulletins rather than printed copies, offering boxes instead of bags, and projected lyrics instead of hymnals.
- Worship Service Priority – Other ministries will not immediately return. As a result, the church office, children’s building, and classrooms will remain closed until a later date. We invite worshipers to exit directly after the conclusion of the worship service.
- 請至下列各語言組網頁完成崇拜座位訂位。預約時間從每星期一早晨9點至星期五午夜12點，或當座位完全訂完時為止。如果你想要在網上訂位，但需要幫助，請與各語言組同工聯繫：國語堂：朱華玲傳道；英語堂：Peter Meloserdoff；粵語堂：黃兆琪弟兄。
- 每堂崇拜前30分鐘可以開始報到。報到地點：國語堂在正堂Woodward Ave. 大門進口處；英語堂/粵語堂：嘉惠堂大門進口處
- 歡迎問安 - 我們誠摯地歡迎你來到我們中間
- 口罩檢測 - 如果你忘了戴口罩，教會將會提供口罩給你
- 體溫檢測 - 體溫低於華氏100.4度者可參與崇拜
- 訂位核定 - 我們將核定你和你的家人預先已為崇拜訂位
- 檢測問題 - 你將再度回答在訂位時已作答的相關檢測問題，以便確定你的回答沒有改變
- 報到 - 你的出席將會被記載在教會實體崇拜出席紀錄中
- 遵守社交距離 - 當走路或入座時，各家保持一定距離（以一家人為單位）
- 戴口罩 - 在教會裏的時候，我們將全時間戴著口罩
- 盡量減少實體接觸 - 我們將不分發程序單，而是以QR code提供數位崇拜程序單，奉獻箱將取代以往手傳手的奉獻袋，詩歌歌詞將投射在銀幕上，不用詩歌本。
- 崇拜以外的事工 - 實體崇拜是教會重啟初期的首要重點，其他事工目前還不會立即恢復實體聚集。因此，教會辦公室，兒童教育大樓及課室都將繼續關閉一段時間。我們要求弟兄姊妹們在崇拜完畢之後，直接立即離開會堂及教會。
- Mandarin Worship Service: 9:00am, Main Sanctuary
- English Worship Service: 9:00am, GWC Sanctuary
- Cantonese Worship Service: 11:00am, GWC Sanctuary
- Glendora Mission: tbd, FBC Glendora
- April 16 Update – RSVP; Check-in; What to expect when you arrive
- April 23 Update – Worship Service Order; How to access the live streams
- April 30 Update – How to Pray for Reopening
Question: Which best describes your plan for in-person, indoor worship service if they begin on Sunday, May 2?
Question: What is your primary reason for waiting additional weeks to return to in-person, indoor worship service?
Question: What is your primary reason it may be a while before you return?
- Members asked about outdoor worship service. While the re-opening team prioritized online accessibility and a return to the sanctuary, we have and continue to consider outdoor accessibility as well. In the weeks that follow re-opening we hope to enable outdoor seating at the church.
- Members expressed interest in expanding our technological capabilities and hiring technical staff. There are growing pains associated with purchasing, installing, deploying and training for new equipment. We appreciate the volunteers who have been involved and the church’s interest in this area. We, too, are interested and exploring options.
- Members asked what the guidelines will be for worship service and when other groups can return. As we mentioned earlier in this update, we will provide worship service guidelines through a weekly update. Ministries will be restored incrementally but it will take place slowly so that few people are left out when to in-person meetings.